Learning Digraphs in phonics or Orton-Gillingham lessons (sh, th, wh, ch) can be really fun if you make a game out of it. On today’s post I am going to share with you a really fun activity that will give your kids a chance to use some movement while practicing their digraphs. Here is how you play the Digraph Beanbag Toss Game.
- 3 Bean Bags
- Index cards
- 1 basket
- Masking tape
How to Make It
- Write each digraph word from the list below on an index card. One word per card.
- Place the basket in the middle of the room.
- Put a 1 ft piece of masking tape on the floor about 10 ft away from the basket.
How to Play it
- First, show your child an index card with a digraph word written on it.
- Have your child read the word aloud.
- Hand your child the 3 bean bags.
- Have your child stand behind the masking tape that you placed on the floor.
- Have the child throw the bean bags into the basket for each sound in the word. (Remember that each digraph (sh, th, ch, wh) makes 1 sound.
- Have the child repeat the entire word again.
So for example, if you use the word chin, the child needs to make 3 baskets; CH-I-N – chin.
You want your child to focus on each sound, so that they understand that the digraphs together make one sound.
I hope you enjoy this Digraph Bean Bag Toss Game! And…while you are here, check out the PRIDE Reading Program. This is an easy to use, highly effective and affordable Orton-Gillingham reading, writing and spelling program.
Thank you for reading my post today!
Karina Richland, M.A., is the author of the PRIDE Reading Program, a multisensory Orton-Gillingham reading, writing and comprehension curriculum that is available worldwide for parents, tutors, teachers and homeschoolers of struggling readers. Karina has an extensive background in working with students of all ages and various learning modalities. She has spent many years researching learning differences and differentiated teaching practices. You can reach her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at www.pridereadingprogram.com