Level 2 - Orange Book
The PRIDE Orange Book is for students who have completed Yellow Book or are ready to start
learning long vowels, multisyllabic words and words with welded sounds (ang, ing, ank, etc.).
Students in the Orange Book may also have started learning concepts in this
book and are struggling with their acquisition.
By the end of the PRIDE Orange Book,
your child will read, write and spell
words such as the words below:
daze pile grove fluke theme
swine poke rule haste
blossom hiccup entire
common concrete dictate
Welded sounds (ang, ink, etc.)
sprang cling swung prong
crank bunk yonk rink
PRIDE Reading Program - Level 2
sight word cards (red words), PRIDE card box, letter tiles, a reading tracker,
sound chart, whiteboard, markers, sound markers, and dice.
- Unlimited online PRIDE Teaching Guide access.
- With PRIDE, there are no expensive and lengthy training courses or additional programs to purchase.
- Your monthly subscription includes all the student materials as you progress through the program at no additional cost.
- While we ship your materials, you will have access to short training videos and practice lessons. When your materials arrive, you will be ready to use the PRIDE Reading Program with your student!
PRIDE Online Teaching Guide
Our PRIDE Online Teaching Guide is the KEY to teaching the Orton-Gillingham method!
PRIDE’s easy to follow scripted, step-by-step Teaching guide will guide you
through which skills to teach, and when and how to teach them.
Yellow Book Long ‘a’ Sample Lesson Pages
Our PRIDE Level 2 – Orange Book includes lesson pictures and work pages designed to help your student learn their basic reading skills. While using the Online Teaching Guide alongside Level 2 – Orange Book, your child will do activities such as sky writing, finger tracing, sound association, and comprehension.
Sound Cards & Red Words
- You will review Sound Cards before each lesson with your student.
- Sound Cards are used throughout the program to introduce, reinforce and review alphabetic letters, consonant digraphs and blends, vowel teams, vowel diphthongs, and common spelling rules.
- Red Words (Sight Words) do not follow any particular phonemic rule so they CANNOT be sounded out and must be memorized.
- For students to read fluently, they need to be able to recognize and read sight words quickly since these words make up about 50% of the words they will encounter when reading a story.
- Our ONLINE TEACHING GUIDE provides a multi-sensory approach with these red words that will help struggling students memorize these “unfair” words.
* Not all sound cards are shown. Card bundles vary with each book level.
FAQs for PRIDE Reading Program
How do I know what level to place my student?
We always recommend placing your student in Beginning Consonants through Level 3 Red Book no matter what age they are. Please look at our Scope and Sequence to determine where you believe your student is best placed. Or you can download our Comprehensive Reading Assessment by clicking here. If you have more questions, please feel free to give us a call at (866) 774-3342 ext. 2 or use our contact form and we will be happy to help you order the level best suited for your student.
Will my student benefit from the PRIDE program?
What if I am not a teacher? Will I be able to teach my student the PRIDE Program?
Orton-Gillingham Based Method
“There is a window of opportunity for kids between kindergarten and 2nd grade where if they don’t close their reading gaps before moving onto the next grade, that child will always struggle with reading and writing. It is important you close those gaps as soon as you can.”
“The Orton-Gillingham method is a process. For many students, this is actually the only program that does work for them. Our students are really, really smart kids that just need a different approach to learning.”
– Karina Richland, PRIDE Reading Program